27 August 2014
The Calliope Crossroads is located approximately 2km east of Calliope in Central Queensland.
The intersection links the Bruce Highway, port and industrial facilities in Gladstone, established agricultural areas of the Callide and Dawson Valleys and the developing Bowen Basin and Surat Basin coalfields. More than 8000 vehicles pass through the intersection each day.
Key features of the design include:a 64m long Bruce Highway bridge over a widened Dawson Highway
- on/off ramps which form an interchange, with extended merging lanes on the Bruce Highway
- a dedicated loop ramp providing direct access for vehicles travelling from Gladstone onto the northbound Bruce Highway
- intersections between the Dawson Highway and the on/off ramps with traffic lights and dedicated turning lanes
- new and safer private property access with dedicated turning lanes on the Bruce Highway
- a shared pedestrian and bike path beside the Dawson Highway.
Earth Commodities Gladstone were able to provide a constant flow of high quality road building materials to assist lead contractors Golding Contractors in successfully completing the project within forecast timeframes.